Al-Buenain resigns as QFA president
Doha: Jassim bin Rashid Al-Buenain has announced his resignation as president of the Qatar Football Association (QFA) following the conclusion of Qatar’s 2026 FIFA World Cup campaign.
In a statement posted on his official X account on Thursday, Al-Buenain said his decision comes after three years at the helm of the federation, a period he described as one of significant challenges and continuous efforts to advance Qatari football.
He said the federation worked tirelessly to turn its ambitions into tangible achievements, with commitment, dedication and teamwork playing a key role in meeting the objectives set during his tenure. lebandit.lat
Al-Buenain, who was elected as QFA president in 2023, thanked everyone who supported the federation throughout his presidency and wished continued success for Qatari football in the years ahead.
He said the achievements during his tenure reflected the dedication and hard work of everyone involved, adding that the successes achieved were the result of collective effort and a focus on the interests of Qatari football.
He said he leaves his position with pride in what was accomplished over the past three years, while expressing confidence that Qatari football will continue to progress.
Al-Buenain also wished the QFA and Al Annabi continued success in the future.
During his presidency, Qatar won their second straight Asian Cup title in 2024 and reached the FIFA World Cup finals for the first time through the qualifying phase after making debut as hosts in 2024.
Al-Buenain’s resignation comes after Al Annabi’s World Cup exit, with Qatar finishing bottom of Group B. Qatar earned a historic first-ever World Cup point after a 1-1 draw against Switzerland in their opening match, before suffering defeats against Canada (6-0) and Bosnia and Herzegovina (3-1) to end their campaign in the group stage.
U.S. Prosecutors Investigate Argentina Football Association

Federal prosecutors and FBI agents have begun taking testimony on the Argentine Football Association’s operations in the United States.
U.S. federal prosecutors and FBI agents have begun taking testimony about the Argentine Football Association’s financial operations in the United States, according to reports.
Investigators are seeking to reconstruct how the AFA, headed by Claudio “Chiqui” Tapia, moved hundreds of millions of dollars through the U.S. banking system.
So far, the inquiry is focused on whether transactions linked to the AFA could fall under U.S. jurisdiction as potential money laundering or bank fraud.
One witness was businessman Guillermo Tofoni, who previously denounced Tapia and the Argentina FA treasurer Pablo Toviggino for alleged fraud. Tofoni was interviewed last week by video conference for about three hours by prosecutors and FBI agents based in Washington, D.C. and Miami.
The inquiry centres in part on TourProdEnter LLC, a U.S.-registered company linked to producer Javier Faroni and Erica Gillette that handled the collection of AFA revenues.
The funds reportedly included payments from international commercial partners, including $60 million from Adidas and $40 million from Warner.
The measures taken so far do not amount to indictments or a formal criminal case. Investigators are in a preliminary stage aimed at mapping the financial circuit and identifying the actors involved.
AFA representatives have rejected any assumption of guilt. The association’s representative for the United States and North America said investigative steps alone “do not determine responsibility or guilt.”
Tapia has led the AFA since 2017. He has also faced legal scrutiny in Argentina over alleged improper withholding of tax and social security contributions.
The post U.S. Prosecutors Investigate Argentina Football Association appeared first on KingFut.
Switzerland beat Colombia on penalties to reach World Cup quarter-finals
Vancouver: Switzerland beat Colombia 4-3 on penalties after a goalless draw on Tuesday to set up a quarter-final with defending champions Argentina.
The two teams cancelled each other out in the final game of the last 16 -- the last match to be played at the 2026 tournament outside the United States.
Both teams missed spot-kicks before Switzerland goalkeeper Gregor Kobel brilliantly saved Cucho Hernandez's effort and Ruben Vargas scored the decisive penalty.
Colombia, once again backed by thousands of passionate fans in Vancouver, had conceded just once in their four games before Tuesday's match and the Swiss had also proved difficult to break down.
The first action of note came in the 21st minute when Kobel was forced into a flying save to keep out Gustavo Puerta's curling effort from the edge of the penalty area.
The Swiss stepped up a gear immediately after the first hydration break, with Camilo Vargas beating away a shot from Fabian Rieder before denying Dan Ndoye.
But the match was goalless at half-time, with two well-matched teams struggling for inspiration.
Switzerland started the second half on the front foot but Colombia also had their moments, with Luis Suarez lashing wastefully wide.
Both coaches made multiple changes in the second half but again struggled to create meaningful openings, with Colombia's star winger Luis Diaz kept quiet.
Ndoye flashed a shot across goal in stoppage time but nobody was able to get on the end of it and the match was 0-0 at the end of normal time.
The game belatedly burst into life in the first period of extra time.
Colombia defender Jhon Lucumi headed against the bar from a corner in the ninth minute and Kobel kept out a fierce effort from Jaminton Campaz as the South Americans upped the tempo.
At the other end, Vargas dived to his left to beat away an effort from substitute Zeki Amdouni.
Campaz missed a glorious chance to win the game with five minutes of time left on the clock.
With nothing to separate the teams, the game went to penalties.
Switzerland will face Argentina in Kansas City on Saturday after Lionel Messi's team earlier beat Egypt 3-2 in Atlanta.
Switzerland last reached the quarter-finals when they hosted the World Cup in 1954.
جيزوس مدربا للبرتغال
من المقرر أن يتم تقديم جورجي جيزوس اليوم، مدربا جديدا لمنتخب البرتغال لكرة القدم خلفا للإسباني روبرتو مارتينيس، بحسب ما علمت وكالة فرانس برس امس من مصدر مقرب من الملف.
وأشار المصدر إلى أن المدرب البرتغالي البالغ 71 عاما والاتحاد المحلي للعبة توصلا إلى «اتفاق كامل» وسيعقدان مؤتمرا صحفيا في مقر الهيئة الكروية بضواحي لشبونة.
وسيتولى جيزوس قيادة البرتغال بعد خمسة أيام من خروجها من دور الـ16 لكأس العالم 2026 بخسارتها أمام إسبانيا 0-1.
